I once heard that blogging is the landfill of human thoughts. But recycling is the name of my game so keep this 'rubbish' moving around the blogosphere and join me on my journey of 365 Random Acts of Kindness inspired by Danny Wallace's book

Friday 25 March 2011

You've got to scratch it, and match it, and spin it around


Random Act of Kindness No. 40 but meant to be 39 – Buy a scratch card and hand it to a stranger.

Proper string vest weather outside today wasn’t it. Summer ventilation. Sadly I didn’t have mine on.

So I popped into the bright lights today of Stratford-Upon-Avon to have a cup of coffee with my maarmy. My trip started off exceptionally well. When I was climbing out my car this lovely young woman came and gave me a parking ticket. She said she had just bought it but can’t stay anymore so gave it to me. Amazing! It was nice to be on the receiving end of a RAOK. I asked if I could have a picture with her but I think she thought I was coming onto her. She said she ‘REALLY has to go, sorry”, never mind. Here is a picture of the ticket any.




On my way back I stopped off and bought a scratch card. It was the first time I have ever bought one. I felt like I should be buying a can of special brew at the same time. Sorry that is probably very rude and stereotypical of me. Because it was my first time I felt like an underage teenager trying to buy alcohol. I didn’t really know what to ask for, or which one I should be buying.

I opted for the one with a chance of winning £250,000. Thinking big. Just imagine if the guy I gave it to won. It would be incredible. The way my day was going so far it was certainly possible. I’m the eternal optimist. I parted with two golden nuggets and walked out of the shop. I spotted this man queuing up at the cash point. What grabbed my attention was his crackin’ beard. I have a bit of a thing for beards. I’m not manly enough to grow one, so anyone who does have one I am very jealous of.

I approached the bearded gentleman and asked if he would like a free scratch card. He accepted and I grabbed a quick picture with him.

He claimed he didn’t know what to do with it. He said “ I tend just to scratch all the stuff but don’t think you’re meant to do that are you? It’s like popping bubble wrap, quite addictive”. Yeah mate just like gambling. Now I don’t know if he genuinely didn’t know what to do with the scratch card or whether he was a gambling addict and just trying to cover it up. I don’t think he was though.

I stood by his side just in case he won and I could ask for some of the winnings… he scratched the bits off he was meant to and sadly – nothing! He didn’t win a penny.

Winning isn’t everything, it’s the taking part that counts. Hmmmm yeah right. Sorry Pedro, if you’re not first you’re last!

Anyhow, I had a nice chat with this lovely gentleman in the sunshine and told him about my blog. I finally allowed him to carry on with his daily antics and get his money out the cash point he was waiting for.

2 comments:

  1. brilliant as usual! I just have one request, would you update us if some of your raok-receivers ever writes in the blog? I can't check all the comments for all the entries all the time and I'm curious now. Thanks! And have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You like beards....

    Check this out!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=081dHOYY6IE

    ReplyDelete