I once heard that blogging is the landfill of human thoughts. But recycling is the name of my game so keep this 'rubbish' moving around the blogosphere and join me on my journey of 365 Random Acts of Kindness inspired by Danny Wallace's book

Saturday 5 March 2011

Donating blood with a smile.


Good afternoon,

RAOK No. 20 – Today, give blood.

So, obviously I can’t turn up at a donor center, stick a needle in my arm and give them a couple of pints. Or however much it is. They probably would refuse my blood at the moment anyway. Anyhow, I went onto the blood donor website and signed up. I am now successfully registered to give blood. Step one, completed. I did a bit of browsing on their website and tried to apply for an appointment on the 15th of March at 18.00. Now I have a slight inkling that I won’t be able to do it that soon. Nonetheless, I have applied and will wait to hear back from them.

Yesterday, I asked for some suggestions for another RAOK to do today as well as sign up to give blood. Personally, my favourite was suggested by Emily. This is what she said:

“I would like to suggest one, beginning with a story. One day a few weeks ago I was feeling a little down after visiting a relative in hospital. On the walk home I saw some words someone had written on the side of a telephone box. They said, "Smile, today wasn't so bad". I instantly smiled. The fact that someone had taken the time to write, all be it graffiti, an uplifting phrase to everyone had made me smile and I started to feel better, thinking about all the good things that had happened that day.”

Now, this is a lovely story and I instantly knew this was the one I should do. I am now going to start putting one poster up a day in a random spot with the words ‘Smile today wasn’t so bad’. Today I started close to home, very close in fact, on the bathroom door in my house. Reason being one of my housemates has a slight tendency to wake up most mornings in a foul mood and I thought this might just ease it off a bit. I will keep you updated. Tomorrow I don’t know where I will be going but, when I do go I will take one of my posters with me and take a picture of it and post it on here. So Emily, thank you very much for your amazing idea, It is very simple yet a brilliant RAOK.

Now I am not much of an artist but here is a picture of today’s poster. I will improve my artistic skills and poster making in all good time.


In a round about way, I also did another RAOK. I was speaking to my mum on the phone and she is not feeling too great at the moment. Bit under the weather, as it were. Sadly she was so ill she was unable to go and see Romeo and Juliette at the new theatre in Stratford-Upon-Avon. She especially wanted to go as one of her friend’s sons was performing, Sam Troughton. Or as Wikipedia have put it; “Sam Troughton is a British actor. He is son of David Troughton and the grandson of Doctor Who actor Patrick Troughton. His younger brother is Warwickshire cricketer Jim Troughton.” Crickey, that’s a hell of a family.

Anyway, instantly I (obviously after giving my mother some sympathy) suggested she sends one of my brothers off into Stratford-Upon-Avon and try to give the ticket away. For free of course. So, off he popped to try and give the ticket away. Half an hour later, I had a phone call from my brother sounding rather pleased with himself. He had successfully given the ticket away to a lovely man called Rob. Apparently Rob, was over the moon with the free ticket, and was thrilled to spontaneously go to the theatre, and as an added bonus - for free.

Well my brother certainly seemed to get the same excitement and pleasure out of doing a RAOK as I do.

All in all I say result!



4 comments:

  1. Thanks William! This has made my day. I may have to translate this into German and start spreading smiles over here..

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's lovely. I don't want to mix up altruistic acts, but watched PAY IT FORWARD last night - simply put you do three incredibly nice things, and each person you help out then helps another three - but it seems like kindness (random or not) is catching, in a nice way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bit about the Royal Shakespeare Theatre at the end there really resonates with me. When I was 16, my dad and I did a bit of a road trip from the North East down to Dorset, stopping off at various places on the way. One of them was Stratford-Upon-Avon.

    It was completely unplanned, and when we got there, I realised that Midsummer Night's Dream (which I had appeared in a school production of the year before) was playing, but there were no tickets left that evening.

    Over dinner in the guest house that evening, a gentleman mentioned to the hotelier that he had a ticket booked but some reason which I can't remember now (it was 25 years ago) he couldn't go, and did he know anyone who might like to have it. The hotelier didn't want to use it, but suggested that I might like it. I was delighted, and offered to pay him the full ticket price, but he wouldn't take anything for it.

    It was a great evening, and a brilliant production, featuring the late, great, Pete Postlethwaite. I'll never forget the kindness of that stranger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well thank you Emily for the suggestion. Maybe I will try some German... It could give me a good excuse to learn another language.

    Thanks Nicola, I have had a look at the Pay It Forward.

    Diamond Joinee Collins... That is amazing. Wouldn't it be great if the person who recieved the ticket this time was the same person who gave it to you. But I think that is too much of a coincidence... I am sure the performance was ecellent as well. Sounds like a good road trip. The most spontaneous trips/events are always the best.

    ReplyDelete