I once heard that blogging is the landfill of human thoughts. But recycling is the name of my game so keep this 'rubbish' moving around the blogosphere and join me on my journey of 365 Random Acts of Kindness inspired by Danny Wallace's book

Wednesday 16 March 2011

Forgive and forget


Random Act of Kindness No. 31 – Forgive someone.

Ok, so I hardly ever hold a grudge against someone for very long. I’m a bit of a lover not a hater!

However, talking over a brew with Talulah at her house, she got me to lie on her sofa and close my eyes. She played soft sounds of the sea breeze and waves rolling in. Half an hour later she snapped her fingers whipped me back to reality. Little did I know deep down in my subconscious I still held a grudge, against someone who I went to primary school with 14 years ago.

Back then in school we had a competition to design the front cover over of a book we were making about the little village where my school was. The village was called Ettington. I had developed at the time, what I thought to be, an amazing idea with my 3 older brothers. The title was ‘Ettington Frenzy’. I thought it was very clever as my understanding of ‘Frenzy’ at the time was, wild excitement and was kind of naughty, which, we all were at primary school. I also thought it was a play on words of friends, “these are my frenzies!” is what I used to call my friends – yeah…I was supercool.

So I let my artistic juices flow and came up with this awesome design. My Friend A*** G****** (I don’t think I should say his name, but they are his initials) asked to see my design. I was very keen to show him, as I was very proud of it. I whipped it out of my satchel and showed him. On Friday, the hand in day, he was very secretive about his design and handed it in without showing it to me. I thought nothing of it and carried on with my day as usual, playing hopscotch and kiss and chase in the playground.

Well my world was going to be tipped inside out and upside down after the weekend. The winner was announced. When the teacher read out the name I was disappointed but as a gallant young boy, I was pleased for my friend “Well done A***, you have won” said my teacher, Mrs. Edwards. When she held up his design my world caved in. Not only had I not won (and yes, secretly I was very competitive) but A*** G****** had copied my design. Yes copied it. Not only had he copied it he had even used the same title. Can you believe that?

So, since primary school I have never seen A*** G****** and nor have I forgiven him for copying my design. Since he betrayed and copied me, I have adapted his secretive approach to work, and I hate showing my work to other people, or even discussing it until I get my results back in the fear someone might copy my ideas again.

Yes I have been permanently scared for life because of this.

However, today I have decided to overcome this and forgive Mr G******. I searched high and low on Facebook, Twitter, and every other social networking site I could think of. I came across this man who fits his description, so decided to send him a message on Facebook. Here is this message.



So I feel a massive weight off my shoulders that I did not know was there after doing that. Amazing. I recommend digging deep into your subconscious and forgiving someone also. Feels goooood.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, just wanted to say, I love your blog, it makes me laugh. :D
    Also, i was totally taken by surprise when reading this post, but i grew up in Ettington too! :D I lived in the big barn on Rogers Lane.. :P
    This is so inspiring and well-written, so thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No way... you grew up in Ettington. When did you leave? That is mad. I still leave down the road in Fulready, when I am not at University.

    Pleased you are enjoying my blog, thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete