I once heard that blogging is the landfill of human thoughts. But recycling is the name of my game so keep this 'rubbish' moving around the blogosphere and join me on my journey of 365 Random Acts of Kindness inspired by Danny Wallace's book

Wednesday 9 March 2011

After you Sir.


Random Act of Kindness No. 24 – When driving let someone out in front of you.

Now – normally I am in London and therefore don’t have a car. However, today I headed back home to the green pastures of Warwickshire to help my brothers out tomorrow on the farm. Oh yeah – they’re not paying me. I managed this time to get them to pay for my train fare but that was it. Apparently I am a good source of free labour. They’ve promised they will buy me a couple of pints as well. So that’s not too bad – I guess.

When I arrived at the train station followed by a thirty-minute wait. Yes THIRTY minutes, I thought they had forgotten about me. A good way to treat your free labour force hey! Anyway THIRTY minutes later (have I got the message across yet that I waited THIRTY minutes?) one of my brothers decided to turn up, isn’t that nice. After I hurled my bags in the back, I collected my thoughts and asked if I could drive home, as I have to complete my RAOK. He did oblige but I think he regretted it after.

We sat at the junction on the train station for about 5 minutes allowing everyone I could out in front of me. At every junction I came up to in the town, I flashed the car waiting to pull out and let them go in front. In total I have no idea how many cars I allowed out in front of me but I know for sure my brother in the passenger seat was getting annoyed. Yes payback my dear brother – don’t turn up THIRTY minutes late ever again. Something was telling me that the cars behind were getting slightly aggravated as well. Perhaps the honking horns left, right and center was a little clue.

Ok, I am fully aware that it was possibly bad driving, but I let it slide this once as I thought it was for the ‘greater good’. I am trying to make the world a better place but actually the 30 cars or so that I let out in front of me were the only ones thanking me for it. Maybe it wasn’t for the ‘greater good’.

As we got out of the town and hit the empty country roads my brother thought we were all clear. Mwahah haaah how he was wrong. It was like it was all meant to be. About five miles away from our house, I let a tractor out in front of me. I could see the tractor up ahead sitting in a gateway waiting for the traffic to go by. As I approached I lightly touched the break “You have GOT to be joking, right! Seriously you’re not letting that out in front are you?” That was my brother’s remarks. Ok it wasn’t but I had to edit it slightly for the ‘greater good’. I wouldn’t want anyone’s ears to start bleeding now.

For the rest of the journey home we were stuck behind this tractor doing a maximum of 30MPH. Oh I was chuckling to myself. It was just beautiful. Not only had I managed to complete my RAOK, I had also got revenge on my brother for picking me up late. As someone once told me, “Vengeance is a dish best served cold”. Well, this was lukewarm but nonetheless it felt good. I am sure the people who I let out in front of me were very grateful and that is the thing that matters the most.

In other news: I got my confirmation through about giving blood today, 15.20 at Rye Lane Chapel.



(Church rear entrance – that made me chuckle, yes quite immature really, sorry.)

Secondly I managed to slip a wee poster inside a ‘housing lifestyle’ magazine this afternoon at the train station. I didn’t even know those kind of magazines existed. This one was a bathroom special. Hopefully someone will pick that up and have a little smile on their face.



Very good – comments and feed back welcome. Remember, spread the love and share my blog with your friends, aunts, uncles, sisters, daughters, sons, mothers, fathers, grandparents, great grandparents, dogs, cats, sheep, goats, monkeys, parrots, worms, even your boss at work…

Thank you.

2 comments:

  1. My boss probably would want to know why I was laughing aloud when I read the tractor part, but I'm not sending him the link, sorry ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing, you're over 6k views, well done for the blood giving too. Chris (who came in to talk about blogs just 5 weeks ago) thought you might find this interesting - it's clear you are right on trend as this link is entirely about RAoK! http://www.trendwatching.com/briefing/
    nicola

    ReplyDelete