I once heard that blogging is the landfill of human thoughts. But recycling is the name of my game so keep this 'rubbish' moving around the blogosphere and join me on my journey of 365 Random Acts of Kindness inspired by Danny Wallace's book

Tuesday 15 March 2011

parting with money and blood...


Before I get into todays Random Act of Kindness lets just take a few steps back to RAOK No. 20. Give Blood.

Well today I had my appointment to pump out 450 ml of the finest hemoglobin. This is no ordinary blood. It is high quality premium stuff with a street value in the thousands.

I headed to the back of Rye Lane Chapel at 15.20 with two friends for moral support, Talulah and Rose. I was quite disappointed to start off with because the first woman was very rude to me. I felt like I was doing a good thing. So a little smile and pleasantries wouldn’t have gone a miss.

Nonetheless, I tried to strike up a conversation with the other nurses and lighten up the atmosphere. It was pretty brutal in there. Everyone was either sitting on chairs in lines waiting or lying on beds like it was the last thing they were going to do.

I went off and had my finger pricked to make sure I had enough iron in my blood. I am happy to say, after my rare steak last night, and pate for breakfast I passed that test with flying colours. I asked the nurse who was pricking my finger if she would mind if I recorded it on my phone. Golly gosh, it was like I asked her to lick the blood off my finger. In no certain terms I was told “NO!” I decided to understand this as, no I don’t mind, so I proceeded to get my phone and to start recording. She nearly stabbed me in the eye with her little finger pricking device. I timidly put my phone back away in my pocket.

I was then ushered off to another waiting area where I was provided with a pint of water. I’m going to need a half time on the blood supplying if you make me drink all this… when the nurses back was turned I tipped it into the slops bucket (I’m sure they have a proper word for it like the discard vessel), however, that’s what I called it.

Moving swiftly on, I was popped on a bed and my arm was sanitised, Talulah told them they would need more than that to clean me up. Don’t know what you are on about there sweetcheeks.

Luckily this time I had a very friendly nurse called Marie. She chatted to me and made it all jolly. The needle was stuffed in my arm and I started pumping out some high quality C738H1166N812O203S2Fe (or in other words the red stuff – blood). When the nurse turned her back I did whip out my phone and manage to nab a few pictures. My trusty assistant also managed to get one as well so here they are.




Well just over half an hour later, and a quick wiggle of the needle to get the last little bits out, I had successfully lost my blood donating virginity. Bang Bang. 450ml of body temperature (yes she did allow me to touch it) blood was being shipped off to save someone’s life. What a good RAOK that is.

In other news (yes I have used that line before but I couldn’t think of anything else).

Random Act of Kindness No. 30 - Find the most obscure charity you can – one that probably makes about a fiver a year – and donate a few quid.

So, I had a look at some obscure charities on the Internet and it is amazing what is out there (do I sound like an old man when I say that?), but I ended up donating to something I had been meaning to for a while.

My brother is running the London Marathon in April, and I have been meaning to sponsor him for sometime. He obviously knew this so sent a nice little reminded to all his friends say “hey, please sponsor me”, he is running it in aid of the Royal National Institute of the Blind (RNIB). Quite a worthy cause I believe. He has certainly been putting in the effort with training and has somehow managed to get me involved and signed us both up to run the Great North Run later in the year. He thinks he will beat me…yeah game on sonny Jim. Anyway I went onto his virgin justgiving page and parted with £20 of the finest English sterling. A good deed I believe.

Now, I don’t want to appear as though I am promoting certain things, product placement or whatever, but if you would like to sponsor my brother please click HERE and pledge as little or as much as you like. He hasn’t asked me to do this and doesn’t know I am, so it would be awesome if just a few followers, or Joinees could donate a couple of pound here and there. Awesome, thank you very much.

Very good, well that is RAOK No, 30 done, and 20 finally completed. I hope you are still enjoying my blog and not finding it boring or too samy – is that a word- samy, samie, sammie, samey. Ya get me? It is of paramount importance that ya get me. I think you do. If you don’t let me know.

Nice one. Thank you, check back tomorrow for the latest update in Williams Wonderful World.

Oh also, just before I go, the girl I sent the card to has received it today and sent me a text message, you may think I am making this up but honest I am not. She said “Your card just made my day a million times better! J Love You xx”

Oh yeah she did. Here is a screen print just to prove it. That makes me happy.


No comments:

Post a Comment