I once heard that blogging is the landfill of human thoughts. But recycling is the name of my game so keep this 'rubbish' moving around the blogosphere and join me on my journey of 365 Random Acts of Kindness inspired by Danny Wallace's book

Thursday 17 February 2011

Remember your please and thank yous


RAOK No. 4 – Be unfailingly polite to every single person you meet.

Ok first off, there seems to be some concern about me not succeeding in my 3rd RAOK. People have suggested that I failed as I only offered and did not give the pizza delivery man a slice. I am sorry. It may just be because I am polite that I did not force it on to him. I do not see it as a failure because he did not accept; I see it as a success because it is still a random act of kindness to offer an un-expecting delivery man a slice of pizza. Nonetheless, this spurred me on to fulfill todays RAOK in great detail.

Generally, I believe myself to be a polite person, however, today I had to be unfailingly polite to everyone.

At 2.00 AM my phone rang. I was tucked up in bed after my cup of Horlicks fast asleep dreaming about butterflies flying. The piercing noise of my ring tone made all the butterflies fly away and I came crashing down to reality.

The person on the other end of the phone was in need of a chaperone to walk her home from the bus stop. I of course obliged, naturally. It wasn’t until I left the house that it occurred to me that it was passed 12.00, therefore, day 4 of my RAOK. I know I could have politely refused to walk my friend home, however, I saw this as a sign that it was meant to be. Because of this I felt even better for walking my friend home.

I got back home and soon started dreaming about daffodils in the snow.

I was not at University today, and was therefore not likely to bump into many people to have to be polite to. So my housemates decided to make up for that. I spent most of my day offering cups of tea, biscuits, cucumber sandwiches and foot rubs. For some reason none of them wanted a foot rub, but the cucumber sandwiches were a hit.

I managed to escape the tea duties for half an hour or so, so I decided to go for a run. This would be a good opportunity to meet more people to be polite to.

I started off by smiling at all the other fellow runners. None smiled back. I then stopped at a bench to have a stretch. An old man was sitting on the bench smoking a pipe. I smiled at him and wished him a good day. ‘Lovely day to relax in the park’. Again nothing back, other than a little nod.

I was on the home straight heading towards the Peckham Palace and a little child started running alongside me. I smiled at him and started cheering him along. I saw his parents just in front looking rather worried so I smiled at them and gave them a little wave. Well well, that was it. They clearly didn’t like me being so friendly. They called their child back and told him off for running about and talking to a stranger… Stranger danger!!
It turns out people living in and around the Peckham area don’t like you being overly polite. This is a shame and I fully intend to crack this trend in all good time.


2 comments:

  1. well you tried...canne say fairer than that. 2am walk home. gee, that is polite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you must have forgotten MY cucumber sandwhich. didnt think we had any in the fridge hmmm. did offer tea and coffee though, bravo!

    ReplyDelete