I once heard that blogging is the landfill of human thoughts. But recycling is the name of my game so keep this 'rubbish' moving around the blogosphere and join me on my journey of 365 Random Acts of Kindness inspired by Danny Wallace's book

Monday 14 February 2011

I've gotta have faith, faith, faith


Today was a big day… I lost my virginity! It was painful and difficult at the start my heart was pounding but I finally managed to do it. It was the most exhilarating thing I have every done! That’s right, I successfully completed my first Random Act of Kindness.

RAOK No.1 – Bellow a cheery hello at a vicar or nun.

Now in my everyday life I rarely bump into a nun or a vicar…well not knowingly anyway. So that was my first mission, to find an un-expecting vicar or nun to bellow a cheery hello.

I was on the train back down to London with my brother, and when our train terminated at Marylebone I was preparing for my hour-long journey across London to the wonderful SE15 - Peckham. Yes mate! Well I said goodbye to my brother and got onto the Bakerloo line. I sat there listening to my music – Roxette, Dressed for success (if you wanted to know). I was certainly feeling dressed for success, however, time was running out for me to find my member of the clergy, but I had faith (no pun intended). I finally ended up at Queens Rd station in Peckham and was yet to find my target.

I popped into my local shop on the way back to buy some milk and biscuits for a well-deserved treat after my train journey. As I walked out the shop…guess who walked in?

Oh yeah baby– you’re on it!

It was indeed a vicar, dog collar and all. I couldn’t believe it. This was it, this was my moment, this was the start of an unknown journey – It was meant to be. I felt my cheeks burn red, and my heart pound as I went to open my mouth and arms to bellow a cheery hello. But that is all that happened. I stood in his way in the door with open arms and a red face. Nothing else happened. He smiled at me and walked into the shop.

Balls – I had failed on my first RAOK.

Head down, looking sheepish I went to walk home. How pathetic had I just been? I couldn’t even say hello to a vicar. ‘Right William, sort it out!’

I turned around and waited for the man in question to walk back out of the shop!

‘HEEEEELLLLLOOOOOOOOO’  arms open, shoulders back, head up and a 360 spin. ‘Enjoy the rest of your day sir…you are an inspiration’

Bang Bang (said in a cheesy American voice) – I had done it! RAOK No.1 completed.

I went to make a quick get away and scurry round the corner to the safe compounds of the Peckham Palace, however, in my excitement and as a result of my 360 spin my bag had broken and my milk fell through the bottom of the plastic bag…darn you blue plastic bag.

3 comments:

  1. Love it! What a brilliant coincidence...maybe this is your first step in your spiritual awakening that you wanted. Also yes, those bloody blue plastic bags.

    ReplyDelete
  2. South African Princess15 February 2011 at 06:56

    I must say after the opening line of 'I lost my virginity' I was Hoping to be able to make the standard 'How long did it last' jibe...alas....I cannot! cant wait to find out what the next RAOK is!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story telling, these RAOK missions are inspired. I wonder how many you'll manage, they look as if they could be addictive. Nicola

    ReplyDelete