I once heard that blogging is the landfill of human thoughts. But recycling is the name of my game so keep this 'rubbish' moving around the blogosphere and join me on my journey of 365 Random Acts of Kindness inspired by Danny Wallace's book

Sunday 20 February 2011

Lately I have felt a skip in my step and a song in my heart.


RAOK No. 7 – Strike up a conversation with an old man/ women on a bench.

Today is a Sunday, and as if by chance on this day of rest my RAOK didn’t involve running into Hospitals or teaching policemen how to skip (which will be coming up soon).

Entering the Chip Factor has filled up most of my day; I’ve been dancing around my room singing along to Delilah videoing myself looking more of an idiot than I normally do. 

"I smelt the chips on the night that i passed my the counter, I saw the salt and ketchup I wanted on mine"

I decided to take a break and go on a little walk through the park to brainstorm some ideas for my video to successfully enter the Chip Factor. It was slightly overcast and not the best day to ‘meet’ people in the park to strike up a conversation with, nonetheless, I walked to the park with a skip in my step.

I passed several empty benches, well, of humans anyway, there were a few birds sitting on them pecking at the odd crumb or two. Most people were walking in couples, arm in arm enjoying the last day of the weekend. I had gone half way around the park and was heading back home. I could see several people sitting on the benches up ahead. This was my opportunity.

I pulled the lace out of my shoe, so I had an excuse to stop at the bench – I didn’t want to appear like a weirdo! Just as I arrived at the first bench the lady got up and walked off. I carried on another 100meters with my yellow shoelace flapping around. I stopped at the next bench where there was an old man sitting there reading the newspaper. I sat down and took off my shoe and tucked the shoelace back inside.

“Hello sir, how are you?”

He lifted his head from his paper and turned to look at me. I gave him a little smile, a smile that didn’t indicate I was about to mug him, but also didn’t indicate that I wanted to throw my keys in a pot at a party with him… ya get’me?

My well calculated smile obviously portrayed the right message as he smiled back and said he is very good.  I came out with the typically English comment about the weather being slightly overcast. He replied “it is yes, but, it is still nice to come and sit in the park and get away from it all.” I couldn’t agree more with him, however, I think we have slightly different ideas about ‘getting away from it all’ – sitting in Burgess’ Park doesn’t quite do it for me. Or maybe he was implying he wanted me to shut up and move along. This didn't perturb me though!

“Have you lived in Peckham for long then?”
“ooohhh yes my friend…maaaaany, many years now”

I sat on the bench for about 10 minutes speaking to him. It turns out he owns a fruit and veg. shop on Peckham High Street. Before him, his father owned it, before his father owned it, his fathers father owned. You can kind of see where this is going. Let’s just say the shop has been in the family for a loooong time…

Well, my shoelace was safely tucked back into my shoe and didn’t look like it was about to pop out and say hello anytime soon, so I decided to say my goodbyes. I did promise him I would go to his shop next time I am out and about buying some veg. He promised me he’ll do me a good price.

I like that Guy!

2 comments: