I once heard that blogging is the landfill of human thoughts. But recycling is the name of my game so keep this 'rubbish' moving around the blogosphere and join me on my journey of 365 Random Acts of Kindness inspired by Danny Wallace's book

Saturday 19 February 2011

Is this a sales call?


RAOK No. 6 – Phone someone at a call centre and tell them they’re doing a good job.

I hate call centres… They phone you up in your own home. Intrude on your personal space. You take the liberty to answer their phone call. Yet once you say no thank you. Yes that’s right NO THANK YOU – the little miscreants hang up on you. They don’t even have the decency to say ‘ok no problem thank you for your time.’

So, as you can imagine I was slightly dubious about today’s RAOK.

Whilst sipping my cup of coffee this morning, I received an email on my phone from Apple informing me of a great gift idea I could purchase for my loved one this Easter. A personalised iPod, it even suggested an iPad. ‘Show your love this Easter’.

First off, I have no loved one. Secondly, an iPad... does Steve Jobs think I am made of money. I think they need to check their records and see that I last bought a wireless keyboard with student discount, yet it was paid by a Mrs D Francis. ‘Merry Christmas William!’

Thirdly and finally if I did have a loved one, I would not show her my love by buying her an iPad – I mean come on. If I wanted to show my love to my loved one I would memorise one of Shakespeare love sonnets for example Love Sonnet 18. And then I would recite it to her as we lie on a grassy hill looking up at the clouds.

But hey that’s just me.

Anyhow, when I bought this keyboard from Apple they were exceptionally polite and helpful on the phone. I therefore, believe they deserve to have my phone call of kindness.

I dialed the number for the online store onto miphone (hey, hey get it, my iphone…hah genius) and got put through to a sales man. I think his name was Mark but it might have been Wojtek, maybe you can tell better than me?!

I believe I shone a little sunray into Mark/Wojtek’s life today, which is what these RAOK are all about. I told him that he does a great job and he deserves to know so.

I did record the phone call so you can have the pleasure of listening to it as well. You can hear the smile coming across his face. It’s beautiful.




Random Act of Kindness by willfrancis9

5 comments:

  1. That lucky guy...You could definitely hear the moment the smile spread across his face! Keep up the RAOK, they're a good way to end my day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smashing idea, beautifully executed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful indeed! I think I'm going to do this right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh fantastic let me know how you got on with it...

    ReplyDelete