I once heard that blogging is the landfill of human thoughts. But recycling is the name of my game so keep this 'rubbish' moving around the blogosphere and join me on my journey of 365 Random Acts of Kindness inspired by Danny Wallace's book

Saturday 30 April 2011

William's Wonderful World - the return from Down Under

Ok, so hello.

I thought I should maybe explain where I have been for the past 23days or so. This post in not about a Random Act of Kindness, so if you don’t want to listen to my very self-centered story about me and my trip, check back tomorrow and you can read about a RAOK.

Righto, I have been in Melbourne, and for those who don’t know, that’s in Australia. Many thought I would end up straight in Penal Colony, and considering the goods I was transferring I possibly could have.

Anyhow, I got in with no problem. Well, I did end up in a quarantine room asking why I have got a stuffed dog with me. Thankfully, they didn’t cut open Pat and check the insides. There was nothing stuffed in him I would like to add. I just wouldn’t want to see Pat being violated like that.

Enough about Pat though. I was working at the Melbourne International Comedy Festival. An installation I work for took over the bizarre public space of Federation Square. I production manage a theatrical maze. It is pretty magical. It draws on stories from Greek myth to old English children’s books, and invites you to join their world and take part in creating the story. It is like falling down the rabbit hole and entering a new world. Enough of the lar-de-dar arty farty talk. So we took over Federation Square for the best part of a month, and quite frankly made it a better place. Here is a picture of the maze standing proud on a 2m high stage. What a beauty.



(Obviously it is closed, normally we have queues longer than those for Madame Tussauds - Ya' get me)


Everyday we did two shows and had over 1000 people a day. Pretty good I think. During our two and a half hour lunch break we would unwind with a crackin’ game of dotmaze cricket. The rules are slightly different to normal cricket. Chairs were used as fielders, -oh and the porter loo. Each batter received an over for each player. Sometimes we had 5 people on the field, depending on the amount of live players we would remove some of the static fielders, (i.e. the chairs). It was immense. The Artistic director Stompy holds the current record, he nearly made it to the half century on 48. I think I bowled him out.

Anyhow, it was an extremely busy month, and the only thing that kept me sane there was this lovely girl called Mary. Mary is from Plymouth, but found the love of her life out there, Benny. So she packed up her bags and moved out there to go and spend a little time with him. Mary, her friend Christine and I lounged about on the sofa, watching AFL, AAAAOOOOOing, eating Tim Tams (they are an Australian version of Penguins basically) and discussing the different saying Australians and English people have. No dramas. That has to be my favourite one. Oh and Far out! Like everything is Far out!
“What are you eating for lunch to day Will?”
“Oh I don’t know, maybe a Jam sandwich.” (being English and all)
“FAAAAR Ouuut!!”

“Is this a Maze?”
“Yes, it is indeed”
“FAAAAR OUUUT!”

It’s incredible. They’re amazed by everything.
Well, it became time for me to leave, with my new found love of Tim Tams, and still not quite understanding the difference between schooners and pots… I bade fair well to my new best friend Mary and began the epic journey that it is to get back to English soil and smell the roses.

And here I am now. Still wearing my  bonds bluey that I bought, longing to be back with Mary in Melbourne. But one must move on and up in the world. So to help me make the transition back I thought I best update my little blog that has been left untouched for far to long. This post is to blow off the cobwebs and grease the wheels. A bit of an MOT, make sure everything is in working order ready to hit the grind stone again and make the rest of the journey through my epic book.

Talking about the epic book. I received an awesome surprise when I got home. A signed copy of the book from Danny boy Wallace himself.
“William! I am loving your wonderful world! Keep up the excellent work!”
Pretty cool hey. I think he even put a little kiss on there… hmm Hey Danny, how’s it going? Kiss kiss xx

Check it out for yourself.



He could have sent me another book though. I mean thanks and all Danny but I’ve already got that one. You don’t need more than one copy of the same book. Hah! Naaar I’m only joshing, it was an awesome gift and thank you Dom for facilitating it.

So this is the end of my self-centered little account of my ‘working’ holiday. I hope you can find it within yourselves to forgive me for abandoning my blog and once again join me in my wonderful world. That would be awesome. Maybe to give me a little extra kick up the derriere you could each introduce a new friend to my blog and get them to say hello. I will therefore have to bring my ‘A game’ for tomorrows Random Act of Kindness to keep up with demand and insure I am worthy of their following.

Nice one. No Dramas.

3 comments:

  1. Glad u had fun in melbourne, was there last month, know how great the place is!! Look forward to the rest of your blog, also give ur copy away at the end of it and keep the signed one (obv) - think thats the last act of kindness too?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where is the rest of the raok's?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Will, you seem to have disappeared. Shame. Was enjoying your write-ups.

    ReplyDelete